Our bodies have a natural repair and healing process that reacts to injury by producing new collagen and elastin. SkinPen initiates this injury response using micro-needling – a technique that creates hundreds of temporary micro channels or openings in the skin without any thermal energy or skin removal.
The body’s own healing processes stimulates collagen synthesis resulting in the appearance of smoother, firmer, and younger looking skin. This can also be used on the neck and chest area and for acne scars and stretch marks. PST carries elite skin care products such as serum growth factors, and even the patient’s own platelet rich plasma that can be used in conjunction with micro-needling to improve final results.
- Phase One | Inflammation: Activated by piercing the dermal tissue, platelets release cytokines and growth factors which act as signals for the body’s immune system. Neutrophils and macrophages cells are sent in to disinfect the wounds, clear the debris, increase the blood supply (a process called angiogenesis), and begin the creation of fresh, new cellular and extracellular materials (the granulation process).
- Phase Two | Proliferation: In this stage, the fibroblasts (cells that make up much of the dermis and create the extracellular matrix) keratinocytes and epidermal cells continue to divide to populate the areas of damage and secrete growth factors and extracellular matrix, such as elastin and collagen.
- Phase Three | Remodeling: At this stage, the wound has been replaced with new dermal tissues and the newly formed vasculature is now matured. The collagen in the newly formed tissue is now replaced with the stronger collagen and the tissue contracts to cause a “shrink-wrap” effect of the skin.
Micro-needling is a minimally invasive procedure; however, since the skin is being penetrated there will be some mild effects afterwards. These effects will vary based on needle depth used and intensity of treatment.
- Day 1: Mild to moderate swelling and redness, similar to a mild sunburn. There may be some mild bruising as well.
- Day 2: Some persisting redness may be present, but all redness bruising and swelling should be diminishing.
- Day 3: Most redness, bruising and swelling should be nearly gone. Normal appearance with makeup may be achieved.
- Day 4: Appear mostly normal at this point with some minor swelling
Blogs About Micro-Needling
Regenerative Medicine Three areas where our office uses Protein Rich Plasma (PRP) for its regenerative effects are skin, hair and perineal. PRP has been used for decades in medicine and new and exciting avenues are opening for cosmetic surgery arenas. What is...
Ready to schedule an appointment?